Sunday, November 2, 2008

Selfishness

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

We've read it and seen it a thousand times. But what does it really mean? God loved us before He even knew us. God loved us even when we weren't lovable. God loved us so much that He gave His only Son for us. Can you imagine sacrificing your own child for a dying world that you don't even know? A dying world that doesn't even care about your child. A dying world that is ungrateful. A dying world that is selfish. God's love for us was the most unselfish act of all.

I wonder how many of us can be unselfish for our spouse. I petition every one of you to do something for your spouse this week. Something completely and utterly unselfish. Something that you would not normally do. For example, men: wash the dishes, do the laundry, cook dinner, etc. Women: take out the trash, wash the car, be intimate, etc.

Selfishness is embedded in our bodies, because we are born into it. We have to learn to deny ourselves in order to please our spouses. We also have to deny ourselves in order to please God.
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:1-2

Do something for your spouse. Love them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zina,
    Me again. The one thing I had to learn was selflessness. I was raised as an only child, the world, in my mind, was my oyster and then BAM, here I am having to share myself, my things, my space, my time, with another person. It was hard; it still is hard, but I'm working it out. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Blessings on your head!
    D. Malone

    ReplyDelete