Saturday, December 17, 2016

My first ministry...

Photo courtesy of Keith Jefferson
Let me start by saying...I love being married! I have wanted to be a wife for as long as I can remember. I knew the kind of wife I would be long before I was married. Even though I never saw a good example of marriage, I knew how I wanted my marriage to be. I knew that I would put my husband first after God because my husband would be my first ministry. I also knew that I wanted to be a good homemaker and make my husband feel comfortable after a long day of work.

My marriage should represent God's love for the church. Some people may never physically read a Bible; however, they will read my marriage. So when others look at my marriage, they need to see a good representation of God's love for the church. If my ministry at home is weak, then my ministry outside the home will be weak also. How can I tell someone else about God when the life I live as a spouse doesn't represent Christ. That doesn't mean that my marriage will be perfect, but it should exemplify a Christian marriage of love, kindness, forgiveness, and the other Fruit of the Spirit.  
Photo courtesy of Keith Jefferson


What does a marriage look like when your spouse is your first ministry? 
1. You will follow God as you build a relationship with Christ by reading the Word and praying everyday. You will apply those things you learn from reading God's Word.
2. Make your spouse your first priority...by making your marriage intentional. Spend time with your spouse daily by talking and listening to each other. Check in with your spouse. Check with your spouse before you make any decisions. Keep your spouse informed.
3. Love and respect your spouse as Christ loves the church and the church reveres Christ. Speak kindly and look for ways to serve your spouse.
4. Pray for your spouse and for your marriage. Ask God to make your marriage stronger and better. Take your issues to God instead of gossiping about them. Ask God to make your spouse the spouse you need and to keep temptations away from your marriage.
5. Pray for yourself. Ask God to make you the spouse you need to be for your husband/wife. 
Photo courtesy of Keith Jefferson

Your first ministry should be your spouse... not the church, the ministry you serve in at church, your children, your parents, or anyone/anything else. Having a relationship with God does not mean that you neglect your spouse while you serve the church. Make your marriage a priority. 1 Peter 3. Your marriage will be blessed and your spouse will appreciate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment