Friday, April 3, 2009

Complacency

Complacency. We all know the word too well. It is when we become satisfied with the way things are. When we let our guards down and say all is well and I don't have to anything else but what I'm doing right now.


Don't let complacency ruin your marriage. When you become complacent, you allow the devil to come in and destroy your marriage. We should continue to look for interesting ways to improve our marriage, rejuvenate the love, and revitalize those feelings of romance. Your spouse will be amazed at your efforts to keep your relationship fulfilled.


I am reminded of the five love languages when I think about complacency. My love language is quality time and when I don't get that from my spouse; I tend to get moody, irritable, and sometimes angry. In the frustrations of my feelings, in which I am well aware, I begin to feel withdrawn from my husband. It is at these times, that we have become complacent in our relationship and it is at these times that we open the door for the devil to come in. So what do I do when that happens? I simply (and gently) remind my husband that my love tank is low. He usually knows it before I tell him and will say, "I know I have been slacking. I will make it up to you." And he does. I also know when his love tank is low. His love language is physical touch. There are times when my schedule is so hectic that I am pulled in several directions and I have forgotten to fill his love tank. It is then that I must fill his tank. Recognizing your spouse's low levels and being able to fill them is important in your marriage.

So don't let complacency ruin your marriage. Continue to be alive in your marriage. Keep your spouse's love tank full. Continue to be romantic in your relationship. Love your spouse unconditionally even when they seem unlovable. And wives respect your husbands even when they seem undeserving of your respect.


Do little unexpected things for your spouse to show you care and to keep your relationship exciting.

Write them a love note, cook a special dinner, take them out, clean up the house, wash the clothes, write love notes on the mirror with a dry erase marker, love them.
Get up and do it now! Don't be complacent.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT POINTS I WILL SURELY STEP UP MY GAME. I LOVE YOU. YOU ARE ONE DEEP SISTER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic is excellent. A lot of people do not realize that marriage takes work and that complacency is a factor that can eat away at a marriage until it is completely destroyed. I have recently been participating in a 30-day challenge called '30-day Husband Encouragement Challenge for Wives'. The document can be accessed at http://www.reviveourhearts.com/challenge/ .The challenge is similar to the Love Dare.

    I began the challenge after running into an old college acquaintance and finding out she was a widow. The news shook me and made me realize I needed to appreciate my husband more, not take him for granted, and to cherish each day. My husband does not know that I am doing the challenge and does not know what has come over me.

    I quickly discovered why it is called a challenge; it has not been easy. I had the most trouble holding my tongue at times when I would normally have not. I also had to practice encouraging my husband. However, it feels good for me to treat my husband the way God expects me to treat him. I am blessed because I choose to bless my husband. I have begun to learn what it means to love my spouse in a way that God would have me love him. No more complacency for my marriage!

    ReplyDelete